As dance teachers we are all leaders. Whether we are leading a small group of dancers or a team of dance teachers at our dance schools. There are many different theories about leadership styles and as I am about to embark upon delivering the Level 1 Dance Leaders Award to a group of young people for Sports Leaders UK, I am considering the many different attributes that different leaders possess. As I consider these different leadership styles, I invite you to think about this: What type of leader are you?
1. Autocratic – extreme transactional leaders who have complete power over the group they are managing.
2. Bureaucratic – follow rules precisely and ensure the group they are managing do too.
3. Charismatic – inspire their groups with enthusiasm and move others forward – success is reliant upon the leaders themselves.
4. Democratic/Participative – invite group members to participate in the decision making process.
5. Laissez-Faire – leave their group members to work alone.
6. People/Relations Orientated – focus on organising, supporting and developing the members of their group.
7. Servant – lead democratically by meeting the needs of their groups members.
8. Task-Orientated – lead autocratically by planning, organising and monitoring group members.
9. Transactional – focus on short term tasks in which group members obey entirely.
10. Transformational – inspire group members with a shared vision of the future through setting targets, being supportive and encouraging, providing stimulating tasks, communicating clearly and setting a good example.
What type of leader are you? There are some online quizzes you could explore to determine your leadership style, including http://psychology.about.com/library/quiz/bl-leadershipquiz.htm
Whilst a transformational leadership style is considered to be highly effective, good leaders often switch between styles for given situations. I would really recommend that whatever stage of leadership you are at within your place of work, balancing the needs of your dance school or organisation against the needs of the group you are leading is the best strategy to deploy when developing your leadership style.
Let me know what you think about this.